House Call Newsletter: Health News You Can Use
Helpful Home Remedies
Family and friends of mine always seem to be asking for helpful home remedies they can use when they are sick. So this month, I thought I would offer a few classic old school naturopathic remedies you can use at home for various health problems.
These home remedies are mustard packs, carrot poultices, and castor oil packs!
Never heard of them? Well, read on to learn all you need to know about them...
When placed over the chest, a mustard pack stimulates the lungs to expectorate, or loosen up a tight chest and dry cough. Don’t leave on longer than 10 minutes for a child, or 15-20 minutes for an adult. Be aware of irritation to the skin and remove it if it becomes painful or glowing red.
1. Add 1-2 Tbs. dry mustard (depending on freshness and potency) to 1 cup of flour. Add enough hot water to make a paste.
2. Spread over a thin cloth and cover with another cloth, making a mustard sandwich.
3. Place the cloth over chest. Next cover with a layer of saran wrap followed by a layer or two of towels. Finally, apply a hot water bottle or heating pad on top.
These are helpful for sore throats and gives especially good results in children.
1. Grate a large carrot. Roll the carrot into a thin cloth such as cheesecloth.
2. Wrap the cloth around the throat and cover with an additional scarf.
*Make poultice either hot or cold, depending on which feels best to the person.
For a hot poultice: place cloth and carrot in hot water and squeeze out before applying to neck.
For a cold poultice: combine crushed ice with the carrot.
Note: Do not wrap the cloth or scarf around the neck too tightly. It should be firmly against skin but loose enough to insert a finger between the cloth and neck. Place a pad beneath the head and neck. The poultice can leak and stain the furniture or bed clothing.
CASTOR OIL PACK
These may be used on any part of the body to reduce inflammation or aid in healing. Apply when at rest, in a calm, quiet environment. Pack should be in place for at least 20 minutes and can be left on for up to 2 hours.
1. Fold a flannel cloth to 2 - 4 layers of thickness and to the appropriate size for the body part you are treating.
2. Place the cloth in a large pan, pour castor oil over it to saturate the cloth. Warm in oven for 10 minutes. (If convenient - not a necessary step)
3. Wring the cloth out lightly; it should be wet but not dripping.
4. Apply the cloth to your skin, cover with saran wrap and 2 layers of towels. Place a hot water bottle or heating pad over the towels and follow with another towel or blanket.
5. The flannel cloth may be kept in a container for future use.
I hope you find these home remedies helpful the next time you are sick!
To Your Optimal Health,
P. S. Another helpful home remedy I recommend is to have a copy of my latest book, House Call: How Ordinary People Have Extraordinary Health, on hand. This book walks you along the path of health and wellness step by step. Click HERE to order your copy today!
Copyright © 2008 Melissa M. Dawahare, ND, PLLC. All Rights Reserved.